Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Nobody Said İt Was Easy

Hello again everybody, İ've decided it's time for another post to write about the past couple weeks here.

I was out of school for 3 weeks, mostly travelling; what a lovely break from school. :) İt started early in May with our exchange student trip to the Black Sea. The Black Sea is really a beautiful place, and it actually reminds me a lot of home. Not the sea part, obviously, but the trees and rivers and lakes are a lot like Wisconsin. There are more mountains there, though. This trip was, how can I say... Different from the other trips we've taken. Looking back we had a lot of fun, but at the time we are all a little (a lot) stressed and on edge. The best thing we saw there was the Sümela Monastery-- it was quite amazing and worth the walk to get there. I'm not going to hash over everything that happened in our five days out of İzmir, but I will relay one memorable memory of the trip, which is when we checked into our final night's lodging in an elementary school dormitory in a tiny town called Hayrat (yes, smaller than Baraboo.) Let's just say we checked out a few hours later after some some tears, some blood, and some hysterical laughter.

I came back to İzmir early early Monday morning, and left for Bodrum with my friend Abby (from Kanada) on Tuesday morning. I had a nice time with her meeting her host family and her friends, attending a Rotary meeting, going dancing, and of course, swimming. Bodrum is definitely a great place for a vacation.

Abby's host dad is the president of his Rotary Club, so he drove us a day early, on Thursday, to Kuşadası for our District 2440 year-end Rotary conference. That was the beginning of our stay in a 5-star all-inclusive resort. Our district must have one of the best conferences ever for exchange students, we really had a lot of fun. Swimming, eating, dancing, typical activities for exchangers. We also got to preform our much-anticipated Turkish folk dance, and we didn't screw it up too badly, if I do say so myself. We all felt pretty emotional at our conference, because although we all have at least a month left here we aren't 100% sure that we will ever all be together again. I'm lucky to stay in İzmir because I'll see my friends up until the very end, but the kids staying in different cities might be hard to see again.

Returning Sunday from Kuşadası, I flew to Istanbul with my host family Tuesday night. We had a good time there visiting their family, and I got to see some more of the beautiful Istanbul such as the Basilica Cistern and the Harem of Topkapı Palace. We spent one night at my host aunt's summer home in Kilyos, but it rained the next day, so we returned to the city. We came back Sunday from that trip, and thus my three week vacation ended.

I know I write this in every post, but really I can't beieve the time. It's already the end of May! Meaning I only have about a month left. Not long ago I thought I could stay here for months, years longer and I would be fine, but as this crazy experience starts to dwindle to a close I am getting more and more excited to get back to my life in Baraboo. I have so much to look forward to there: family and friends and being able to do things like homework and clubs and sports, and looking at and applying to universities.

I have had a really fantastic experience that I will remember fondly for a lifetime, but I guess the whole time it's been in the back of my mind that my life here is only temporary, and eventually I'll have to say my good-byes. I am so afraid to start to say farewell to everyone I've met here, because unlike when I left Baraboo, I don't know how soon I'll be back, or when I'll see them again. You can probably imagine that my emotional state is already not good, haha. My last days here will be tough to say the least.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said, Lydia. I'm glad you are looking forward to coming home now-- I've hardly wanted to bring up the subject, knowing how hard it is to say goodbye... But we are so excited to be having you home soon! In fact, I miss you more than ever now-- Can't wait to hear the details, see the pictures and mostly, hug you!

    ReplyDelete